What is the aim of this course?
This course is aimed at students with an interest in managing and participating in the development of modern computer software. Software Engineering is an attempt to bring engineering discipline and formal methodologies to the task of software development. The course focuses on the overall management of the development process.
What does this course cover?
- Introduction to software project management
- Project evaluation and programme management
- An overview of project planning
- Selection of an appropriate project approach
- Software effort estimation
- Activity planning
- Risk management
- Resource allocation
- Monitoring and control
- Managing contracts
- Managing people in software environments
- Working in teams
- Software quality
What will I learn in this course?
At the end of the course, the delegate should be able to:
- Understand what makes software development different from other engineering projects
- Understand the various steps in the project planning process
- Evaluate a software project against strategic, technical and economic criteria and assess the risks involved
- Select an appropriate lifecycle model suited to the characteristics of a specific project
- Estimate software development effort
- Produce a development plan
- Identify factors putting a project at risk
- Allocate resources to a project
- Monitor and control a software project
- Understand and manage the issues relating to software quality
What must I know before doing this course?
This course forms part of the JCSE’s CPD Programme, which in certain circumstances allows students to “bridge into” the Post-graduate Diploma (PGDip) in Software Engineering.
PREREQUISITES: There are no formal prerequisites for acceptance into this course. However a Matric pass with University exemption (or equivalent) is essential for conversion from the CPD to the PGDip. In addition a University degree or Technikon Diploma in an appropriate discipline, combined with between 5 and 10 years of relevant work experience is recommended.
How much does it cost?
Per delegate fee is R13,000 . Note: VAT is not charged on this course/