In all modern digital systems data plays a pivotal role. This popular Wits University-certified short course covers the theory and design of databases. It then introduces important modern topics such as Dimensional Modelling, Big Data and NoSQL Databases. The course forms part of the JCSE’s CPD programme. Enroll Soon! =>>>
Deadline for applications: 5pm Monday 20th July 2020
First Lecture: 4pm Wednesday 22nd July 2020
Last Lecture: 4pm Wednesday 26th August 2020
Exam: 2nd September 2020
What is the aim of this course?
The aim of the course is to provide delegates with the principles of information modelling and database design and implementation, and the application of these principles to engineering tasks.
What does this course cover?
- Database theory: relational databases; normalisation and Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Database design
- In-memory database
- Business Intelligence: data warehousing and associated decision support tools
- Dimensional modelling as an alternative database design technique
- Big-Data: Introduction to Big Data and NoSQL Databases
- Hadoop and MapReduce as a means of storing and accessing Big Data
What will I learn in this course?
At the end of the course, the delegate should be able to:
- Describe the relationship between data, information and knowledge
- Apply the theories and principles of relational database systems to engineering tasks
- Describe SQL and conventional database design
- Explicate Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
- Propose Dimensional Modelling as an alternative method of database design
- Identify technologies that support Big Data
What must I know before doing this course?
This course forms part of the JCSE’s CPD Programme, which in certain circumstances allows students to “bridge into” the Post-graduate Diploma (PGDip) in Software Engineering.
PREREQUISITES: There are no formal prerequisites for acceptance into this course. However a Matric pass with University exemption (or equivalent) is essential for conversion from the CPD to the PGDip. In addition a University degree or Technikon Diploma in an appropriate discipline, combined with between 5 and 10 years of relevant work experience is recommended.
How much does it cost?
Per delegate fee is R13,000 . Note: VAT is not charged on this course/